You are here

Ryan Gass, 35, faces two counts of reckless discharge of a firearm, a felony charge, after a a five-hour standoff with law enforcement on the evening of July 15. Photo from Will County Sheriff's Office
Alex Ivanisevic, Contributing Editor
11:40 pm CDT July 15, 2019

After a five-plus-hour standoff with police Monday night, a man was arrested for firing an AR-15 rifle recklessly in the area of Bruce Road and Lawrence Avenue that evening.

Ryan Gass, 35, faces two counts of reckless discharge of a firearm, according to Deputy Chief Dan Jungles with the Will County Sheriff’s Office, which reported that no one was injured in the incident.

Police responded around 4:25 p.m. Monday, July 15, to a call of shots fired near Bruce Road and Lawrence Avenue, the release says. According to Jungles, the suspect was shooting his firearm at cinder blocks on his property located on the 2700 block of Lawrence Avenue.

While authorities could not locate the suspect, they reportedly found evidence of the rifle being fired and saw the firearm through a window in a home on the property. 

“A search of the area around the residence was conducted and an AR-15 style rifle was located on the property,” the release says.

A nearby dispatch center then reportedly received calls from a male subject who said he lived at the address in question. Jungles said the man asked the dispatcher why there were sheriff’s deputies on his property, and threatened “if it happened again, there would be a shoot out.” 

Deputies responded by establishing a perimeter around the property and evacuated residents in that immediate area near Lawrence Avenue and Bruce Road in Unincorporated Lockport Township. Deputies went door to door to make residents aware of the situation. 

Responding officers then located the subject, later identified as Gass, and made contact with him while also confirming no one else was home, the press release says. The standoff between the male suspect and law enforcement lasted about five hours. Jungles said they used that time to gather intelligence about the individual in the situation and the residence, “it lasted that long because we were not going to rush the situation and make matters worse,” he said, adding that law enforcement wanted to know what they were dealing with and proceed as calmly as possible.  

Residents from the surrounding homes were permitted to return at around 10 p.m. once the situation had come to an end and Gass surrendered and was taken into custody. No one was injured before, during or after the standoff.

Gass was arrested for “various offenses” and transported to the sheriff’s investigations office for more questioning. He faces two counts of reckless discharge of a firearm which are felony charges and was summoned to court at the Will County Courthouse room 305 at 1:30 p.m. on July 16. 

Stay tuned to as this story develops.